While it is certainly not necessary to be a “Level 5 Leader” to run a successful organization, having access to leaders with the qualities demonstrated by Level 5 Leaders can create an advantage for the organization that wants to transform. We believe that significant transformation only happens with a holistic approach over time. Through our comprehensive approach, we will guide leaders to be more effective and, in some cases, move to later developmental levels. Jim Collins book Good to Great is one of the foundations of our approach. Please check the publications page for other recommended reading from authors we have found very influential.
We provide proven tools and knowledge to help our clients in the difficult work of transforming. All change and development takes time, energy and the support of those around us. The leaders we work with have built their successes and defenses as a result of the activities that took place over the course of their lives, and part of development is learning new responses and replacing suboptimal behaviors. We believe our clients will be most successful when those around them are working toward a common vision so that everyone benefits from the changes.
Our high level approach is defined by the four step process graphically depicted to the right. We use the same general steps for individual and organizational transformation. Within each step we have a robust set of proven assessments, methods, and tools. We will introduce these items as they are needed and tailor them for each client situation.
Assess & Vision:
- Conduct a thorough assessment of the current leadership and business environment, using a diagnostic approach including interviewing stakeholders, employees and customers, evaluating financial performance and evaluating performance compared to the competition.
- Validate the vision, guiding principles, and future organizational structure through an interactive workshop.
- Assess current structure, processes, infrastructure, and people against your stated goal and determine their ability to generate your desired results.
Plan & Build Capacity:
- Identify the gap between the vision and current state.
- Identify the projects, resources and timing to close the gap.
- Build a community within the organization that supports the change.
Implement & Learn:
- Create a comprehensive workplan to define the steps necessary to close the gap between current reality and vision
- Determine appropriate pace depending on resource availability, other projects, expected outcome timing
- Build the skills and infrastructure necessary to accomplish the stated vision
- Evaluate blocks to performance and generating solutions to remove performance blocks in conjunction with implementation
- Perform against implementation workplan
- Monitor implementation workplan and the organization’s ability to absorb changes
- Work with Steering Committee to report implementation activities and correct course as appropriate
Evaluate & Improve:
- Evaluate your success and determine next steps.
- Learn from what you have done and improve upon it so you will be better next time. By continuing to review and improve upon successes of the implementation effort, people are supported in practicing new behaviors long enough that they become “the way we do things” rather than part of a special change effort.
For more information contact Metcalf & Associates.